WELCOME TO BLAIR COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA
ALTOONA, ALEXANDRIA, BELLWOOD, DUNCANSVILLE, GREENWOOD, HOLLIDAYSBURG, PINECROFT,
SPRUCE CREEK, TIPTON, TYRONE,
AND ALSO HUNTINGDON, PA.
Nancy Frantz - RE/MAX Realtor
RE/MAX Results Realty Group
(814) 946 - 9355 ext. 321
The History of ALTOONA, PENNSYLVANIA
The Pennsylvania Railroad was chartered by Pennsylvania in 1846. In 1849, the Railroad began developing the community that became Altoona - as a staging area for the construction of the rail line. By 1850, the railroad had been constructed from Harrisburg west to Altoona. The Allegheny Ridge was a major barrier to the completion of an east-west railroad across Pennsylvania. Through innovative engineering, the Horseshoe Curve was completed in 1854 west of Altoona to provide a westward passage at a grade that was gradual enough for heavy trains. The Horseshoe Curve is now designated a National Historic Landmark. Once this route was completed, the railroad was able to replace the canal as the primary means of transportation. By 1858, the travel time between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh had been reduced to 15 hours, as opposed to the three days required before the railroad was built.
The original rail yard in Altoona was centered in the vicinity of the present-day Station Mall between 9th and 10th Avenues. The west side of this rail yard became the commercial center, while the east side was primarily residential. The most prominent building was the Logan House, on the site of the present Post Office. Altoona was incorporated as a borough in 1854, when it included approximately 2,000 residents. the population grew to over 10,000 by 1870 - partly as a result of demand for rail cars during the Civil War. Altoona was incorporated as a city in 1868.